Friday, December 21, 2007

Sugar cookies

My mom brought me her old Christmas cookie cutters the other day because she doesn't use them any more. I don't know that she ever did come to think of it.
So even though I despise Christmas and everything about it, I've come to the conclusion that I owe it to my kids to try & have the most kick ass Christmas's in the history of everything that has a history. I put up a tree this year-the first time in years-and have been burning the midnight oil trying to get their gifts ready. (I'm attempting to make them each a doll. This is laughable because I have no sewing skills whatsoever) So in honor of my least favorite holiday, I present to you...sugar cookies.

I found this recipe in an old copy of Kraft Food & Family. It was stuffed in with my cookbooks and is from the year 2004. I have no clue where it came from. Such is my life.

1 package cream cheese, softened (They say to use Philadelphia cream cheese. I despise product placement by the way and used some generic cream cheese)
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda

Beat cream cheese, butter, sugar, and vanilla in large bowl on medium speed until well blended. Then add flour and baking soda; mix well.

Roll out the dough to your desired thickness. They say 1/8 inch, but I don't like wussy thin sugar cookies, so I rolled mine out thicker. They we cut into shapes and placed in a greased cookie sheet.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes

I used the same icing recipe from the oreo cupcakes, sans the oreos.
I let Faith pick the colors and requested pink and "lellow". But I had no "lellow", so we decided blue would be an okay alternative. Then I used Wilson color to beautify the icing.

They're quite delicious cookies, and we had tons of fun making them. Faith was most helpful in cutting out the shapes, and we ended up with some mutant looking snowmen.
Faith agrees that they're good...especially if you just lick the icing off the top of the cookie.

Cutting out the cookies




No comments: