Thursday, January 10, 2008

Hummingbird cupcakes with cream cheese frosting

I remember watching Paula Deen make a hummingbird cake while pregnant with my son. My mouth would not stop watering and it was definitely one of those moments you wished a remote that could send food through the television at the click of a button.

I attended a potluck dinner last night and knew I wanted to make red velvet cupcakes but I wanted to take two kinds so I decided to give hummingbird cupcakes a whirl.
This was the best I could improvise the recipe into cupcake form.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, line your muffin pans with cupcake liners. This recipe got me about 15 cupcakes.

Here's what you'll need:
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup crushed canned pineapple, with the juice
1 mashed over ripe banana
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans

Sift together flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt then mix it all up.
Add oil and vanilla to the flour mixture.
Mash bananas then add in the pineapple, bananas & pecans
Beat the 2 eggs
Mix everything together, there you have your batter.
Fill each liner 2/3 way and stick em on the oven.

Bake for about 25 minutes, then cool in pans for 10 minutes, finish cooling on a wire rack.

I had cream cheese icing left over from my red velvet cupcakes so I put a thin layer on top of these and decided to make little fondant hearts to place on top.

They were so moist and delicious. As my friend Jodi said, "These are the jam."



2 comments:

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Hummingbird cupcakes are one of my faves!

PS: I love your shirt in your picture!

Anita Ann said...

I want some