Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Red Velvet cupcakes

I decided I wanted to take some kind of cupcake to my parents house for Christmas. None of my family had ever really tried my cupcakes and most of them seemed to snicker when I told them my goal was to open my own bakery. So I wanted to make the most mind blowing cupcakes I'd ever made and show them that I can kick ass in the kitchen despite what most of them think. I could go into a long giant rant about how incredibly unsupportive most of my family has been about any decision I've made in my life, but I'll spare you the vomitous venting session and get right to the nitty gritty of the cake.

I wanted to try the Paula Deen recipe that Natalie had posted on her Bake & Destroy blog because they looked so delicious and so..well..Christmas-y, being red and all.

1 1/4 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
1 tablespoon red food coloring
1/2 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
*A side note: I purchased an oven thermometer..finally..and discovered that when just turned to about 250 degrees my oven heats up to an incredible 375. I told you-cantankerous bitch. No wonder I'd been having trouble achieving the perfect cupcake.
Line your muffin pan with your cupcake liners. (I made a double recipe & got 23 cupcakes I believe)
In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. In a large bowl gently beat together the oil, buttermilk, egg, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla with a handheld electric mixer. Add the sifted dry ingredients to the wet and mix until smooth and thoroughly combined. (I was so delighted to see the beautiful rich dark red color appear. This is the point in this recipe when I reached baking euphoria..it's a different moment with each one.)

Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake tins about 2/3 filled. Bake in oven for about 20 to 22 minutes, turning the pans once, half way through. Cupcakes are done when top springs back when lightly touched with finger. Remove from oven and cool in pan for 10 minutes.

By far my favorite part of the recipe..the cream cheese frosting. I seriously wanted to get a big ass spoon and sit myself down in my papasan chair then partake in one final gluttonous act for the year 2007. (2008 will be the year of a smaller Vanessa, fingers crossed.)

1- 8 oz. package cream cheese
1 stick butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups confectioner’s sugar

Then you:
In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla together until smooth. Add the sugar and on low speed, beat until incorporated. Increase the speed to high and mix until very light and fluffy.

Despite the fact that I had to nearly force feed the two people in my family that did eat one they both said it was delicious. My husband loved them though and I think they're probably my favorite recipe so far. They were so light, fluffy, and delicious. Mmmm....I'm thinking of baking them once a month now to celebrate just being a woman. Which means I should go whip some up today. Better go to the store for some buttermilk.

3 comments:

emily said...

those look soooooo good. i think i have a vegan recipe for this that i might have to try tonight!!

--emily

vanessa said...

Emily! :) Let me know how they turn out.
We've given up meat as of the 1st. I'm hoping to phase out dairy..
Our phone is working again so I'm gonna call you either tonight or tomorrow.

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

I'm going to try this recipe soon. I've done Chockylit's red velvets on my blog. They are super delicious as well!!